Welcome to Best Pet Trackers 🙂 Today we are looking the pet water fountain and the different types available, along with our top picks. As always we hope to help you make the right choice for you and your pet.
Your feline friend always livens up your home. They are the centre of attention, and every waking moment that we spend back at home, is spent playing with them. However, a pet is not just a plaything, but is almost like a child in the house. Just like an infant, even they cannot express their concern, and we have to understand their every need. Water is necessary for every living being, and cats are no different.
A cat should have adequate water to remain healthy and happy
Sufficient water intake is necessary for a cat to remain healthy, as water provides the essential oxygen and nutrients and also helps in the removal of toxic materials from their body. Without insufficient water, your kitty can end up having kidney and urinary tract problems, and in severe cases, you may lose your cat untimely.
Unlike dogs, cats do not have a sense of depth, and thus you might often find them not drinking from a bowl. Cats are naturally inclined towards running water. The sound of rushing water is an attractive stimulant, which attracts a cat towards the drinking water source. The water fountain mimics natural flowing water, thus helping your kitty consume adequate quantities of water.
Why is a flowing water source better than a stagnant one?
A cat's instinct is legendary, and your pet might correctly assume that the water in the bowl is contaminated with microbes. Running water has no such issue, and it is even believed to taste better. Nowadays pet foods are made of dry materials, thereby increasing their dependence on drinking water as a source of hydration. The pet water fountain helps meet this demand.
Best place to keep the water fountain
For a cat, the water and food should not be placed side by side, since that would put off a cat from drinking. Also never place it too close to the litter box, since there is a high chance of pathogens from the litter contaminating the water source.
The pet water fountain is going to be an addition to your home’s aesthetic decor. So, place it somewhere, that it can blend seamlessly with your decor. Do not put it where people move about a lot. Placement of the water fountain is integral, as that would determine how much your cat is staying hydrated.
Things to consider before buying pet water fountain
There are multiple water fountains available in the market, each appearing to be better than the other. So, it can get quite confusing to decide which the best one is. We would like to assist you in making an informed choice and get what is only best your pet.
- Filtration- This is the main aspect, as pure water is the primary concern of every pet parent. There are two kinds of water filtration available- mechanical filtration and chemical filtration.
- The mechanical filter has a sponge through which the water passes before entering the pump, and prevents any debris from entering.
- The chemical filter makes use of activated carbon to remove impurities as well as any unpleasant odour, and makes the water more pleasant to drink.
- Material used- Most water fountains are made of plastic, but many vets have observed that cats have broken out into rashes by constant rubbing against the plastic body. Also, cats have a habit of scratching, thus damaging the structure and providing a nook for the growth of bacteria and can be unhygienic. The other materials available are ceramic and steel. The fountain should be heavy enough so that your naughty pet cannot push it around, as that might damage it.
- Ease to clean- Pet parents are extremely busy, and one of the things that might go amiss is cleaning of the water fountain. Before purchasing the pet water fountain, find out which has the highest ease of cleaning. If it’s too difficult, it will eventually be ignored, and then it becomes the site for germs to grow.
- Long lasting- The cat water fountains should be durable, and should last several years. However, some parts like the pump and the filter might require periodic change.
- Price- Buy a cat fountain that matches your budget and meets all the requirements that you are seeking.
- Water capacity- It should hold enough water to quench the thirst of your pet and should be connected to a water source. Also, the water well should be high enough, so that the water doesn't keep splashing on the floor and cause an untoward accident.
Look at several options, and buy one that is best suited for your loved cat.
Why choose a water fountain?
Cats can be extremely finicky, and they are biologically tuned to be attracted towards flowing water source. Now it’s not possible to find flowing water in the city, and the best possible solution that is available now is the water fountain.
Pet users who have been using a water fountain for their cats, have sworn on the improvement of their cat's health. A healthy and active cat is one that is hydrated, and water fountains help prevent inadequate consumption of water.
Some of the best Pet water fountains available in the market
Petsafe Drinkwell cat fountain
It costs around $40, and has a 4-star rating on Amazon. It has a foam filter to remove larger debris particles and activated carbon for microscopic ones. There 5 spouts of free falling water, making it a favourite with the cats and their human parents. The motor is exceptionally silent too, but the few disadvantages are it is quite large thus taking up a lot of space, and since it is made of plastic it can lead to mold growth.
Petsafe drinkwell ceramic Avalon fountain
It is available in attractive colours like white and red, and made of ceramic which is preferred over plastic. It is dishwasher safe and has a two-layered water filter made up of foam and activated carbon. The only disadvantage is that it can hold only 70oz of water, and there is no mechanism to control the water flow.
There are many more amazing products available online as well as at any top-end pet shop. So get one that suits the need for your kitty.
pet tracker - TOP PICKS
At Best Pet Trackers we review all the best pet trackers so you can make the best choice for you and your pet................
GPS Pet Trackers
- Link AKC Smart Collar Review
- Whistle 3 GPS Pet Tracker Review
- TKSTAR Pet Tracker Review
- Findster Duo+ Review
Radio Frequency Pet Trackers
Click on the links above to find out more about these great pet trackers...........
Interested in more great Petsafe products? Take a look at our review of the Petsafe Wireless Dog Fence..........
Did you enjoy reading this pet water fountain guide? Your friends and family might too. Feel free to pin it on Pinterest or share it with them on Facebook...